A roundup of the big news from international cricket over the past few days.
Scotland qualify for Super 12s
Scotland booked their place in the T20 World Cup Super 12 stage with a comfortable eight-wicket victory over Oman, making it the first time in their history that they have made it to the second round of an ICC event.
A day after head coach Shane Burger urged his in-form side to “inspire a nation” by clinching a place in the second round of the T20 World Cup for the first time, the Saltires beat Oman by eight wickets to make it 3-0 and top Group A.
Hosts Oman were bowled out for 122 and Scotland won with three overs to spare after captain Kyle Coetzer made a timely return to form with 41 off 28 balls. After the skipper’s dismissal, Richie Berrington (31) and Matt Cross (26) took the Scots to victory with a partnership of 48.
This moment. Forever. pic.twitter.com/AAQax8FMjE
— Cricket Scotland (@CricketScotland) October 21, 2021
This hat-trick of victories came after Scotland’s six-run victory over Bangladesh on Sunday followed by a 17-run win over debutants Papua New Guinea on Tuesday. Coetzer’s team are now in Group 2 of the Super 12 stage alongside India, New Zealand, Pakistan, Afghanistan and either Ireland or Namibia, who meet in an eliminator for the final place today.
Pattinson quits internationals ahead of Ashes
Australia fast bowler James Pattinson on October 21 announced his retirement from international cricket ahead of the Ashes.
The 31-year-old claimed 81 wickets at an average of 26.33 in 21 Tests during an injury-ravaged Australia career, and also featured in 15 ODIs and four T20Is for his country. Pattinson said that he intends to play domestic cricket, possibly even in England, where he has previously played for Nottinghamshire.
In his statement, he said he reached the decision to retire from international cricket after feeling he would not be in a position to press for a place in Australia’s Test squad for the upcoming Ashes against England, which is scheduled to start in Brisbane on December 8.
Pucovski set to return for Victoria next month
The stop-start career of prodigious Australian batting talent Will Pucovski is set to resume ahead of the Ashes, with Victoria announcing that the 23-year-old plans to play their Marsh Sheffield Shield fixture against New South Wales at the MCG from November 5.
Pucovksi, who made his Test debut against India at the SCG in January, is recovering from his tenth concussion. The latest setback occurred earlier this month when he was hit on the helmet during training.
Terming Pucovksi as a “pretty resilient guy now”, Victoria coach Chris Rogers said the opener could be in line for a Test recall against England at the Gabba from December 8.
Having twice withdrawn from Australia’s squad to deal with personal issues, and having suffered nine concussions on his way to a Test debut, Pucovski became the first Australian opener to debut at the SCG since Mark Taylor against West Indies in 1988-89 and batted his way to a pleasing 62 with the help of two drops.